Homemade Bean and Vegetable Burgers
Homemade bean burgers are much better than their frozen store-bought counterpart.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 large Yukon Gold potato, peeled, cooked, and cooled
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup fresh or defrosted frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
In a medium bowl, mash the beans and potato together using a potato masher. Add the remaining ingredients, except the oil.
Mix and form into 4 patties.
Heat the oil in skillet. Cook the burgers, flipping once, until cooked through and browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
PER SERVING Calories: 502 | Fat: 8 g |Protein: 27 g | Sodium: 177 mg |Fiber: 28 g |Carbohydrates: 82 g |Sugar: 4 g
Red Kidney Bean Warning!
Raw kidney beans contain a toxin which can be fatal. Luckily, there is an easy solution. Boil the fresh beans for 10 minutes and the toxin is destroyed.