As an appetizer, main course, or an ingredient in Basic Pasta Salad, or as a spread with crackers, this mélange of roasted veggies, accented by sweet balsamic vinegar and mellow roasted garlic, is easy comfort food. Cut everything into one-inch cubes. You'll probably need two roasting pans or baking dishes for this recipe.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 pound), cubed
- 1 small butternut squash (about 1½ pounds), peeled and cubed
- 1 pound red potatoes, cubed
- 3 large “horse” carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces, or approximately 1 pound of cello carrots
- 12 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large white onions, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium zucchini and 1 yellow squash, cubed
- 10 ounces mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup mixed chopped herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, chives, or less than ¼ cup of dried mixed herbs
- ¼ cup good quality balsamic vinegar (see “Choosing Balsamic Vinegar”)
Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine eggplant, squash, potatoes, carrots, garlic, onions, zucchini, yellow squash, mushrooms, olive oil, salt, pepper, and mixed herbs; toss to coat.
Spread into a single layer onto 1 or 2 roasting pans, jellyroll pans, or baking dishes.
Cook 1 to 1½ hours, until vegetables are very tender and browned lightly. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, and set out to cool.