Mushroom Vegetable Stock
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS about 6 cups
- 1 ounce dried mushrooms, such as porcini or Chinese black mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 package (8–10 ounces) white mushrooms, washed and roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 4 cups cold water
- Small bunch of parsley stems
- 10 black peppercorns
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
Soak the mushrooms in 4 cups water for 1 hour.
Heat the oil in a stock pot; add onion, carrot, and celery. Cook over medium heat until onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
Add the dried mushrooms, their soaking liquid, the fresh white mushrooms, garlic, water, parsley stems, peppercorns, thyme, bay leaf, and salt. Bring to a boil, then lower flame.
Simmer 45 minutes; strain. Keeps refrigerated for 1 week. Freezes well.