Sweet White Salad with Shaved Asiago
A delicious and easily put-together salad.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 4 ounces (about 2 heads) frisee or fine curly endive
- 4 heads Belgium endive, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup julienne of jicama
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced into paper-thin rings
- Juice of ½ lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon orange juice concentrate
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wedge of Asiago cheese, Parmigiano Reggiano, or other good “grana” cheese
Wash and dry the frisee; combine with Belgium endive, jicama, and onions.
Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, orange juice concentrate, salt, and pepper; toss with salad to coat.
Arrange salad onto 4 plates, piling it as high as possible.
Using a swivel peeler, gently shave 4 or 5 curls of Asiago cheese over each salad, and serve immediately.
What Are Grana Cheeses, and Do They Come in a Green Shaker Can?
Grana cheeses are the hard, aged “grating” cheeses, and the short answer is: No. They don't come in a green shaker can. Grana, literally, means “grainy,” and describes these crumbly cheeses very well. They'll sprinkle into flakes or fine powder on a grater. The undeniable king of the grana cheeses is Parmigiano Reggiano. This Parmesan cheese has a nutty, savory flavor and, sometimes, delicate crystalline specks in it that impart a dynamic texture.