Raw Veggie Pasta Toss
While cooking unlocks nutrients in some vegetables, such as the vitamin A in carrots, many vegetables are at their peak of healthful elements before cooking. So eating raw vegetables in dishes like this isn't just refreshing — it's smart.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ripe roma plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup shredded broccoli (available at groceries as “broccoli slaw”)
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces ziti or penne pasta
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella or provolone cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Parmigiano Reggiano or other top quality Parmesan
In a large bowl, combine the yellow squash, zucchini, olive oil, tomatoes, broccoli, scallions, garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow to stand while you prepare the pasta.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Immediately after draining, toss with the cheese until it melts, then toss with the vegetable mixture. Serve warm.