Creamed Morels and Asparagus Tips in Vol au Vents
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1 sheet (8 ounces), puff pastry cut into 8 rectangular pieces, brushed with egg wash
- 14 fresh morels, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Madeira wine
- ½ cup strong vegetable stock
- ½ cup cream
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- 24–30 cooked pencil-thin asparagus tips
Arrange puff pastry rectangles on a baking sheet, spaced 1 inch apart. Bake at 400 degrees until highly puffed, and the domed top is golden brown, about 20 minutes; set on a rack to cool.
Halve the cooked Vol au Vents (the puffed pastries) laterally.
Sauté shallots in butter over medium heat until translucent (3 minutes). Add morels, and cook for 5 minutes. Add Madeira. Simmer until volume is roughly halved, about 5 minutes more.
Add stock, and cook until almost dry. Add cream; simmer until sauce consistency thickens to coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in chives.
Set the bottom halves of the puff pastry Vol au Vents onto serving plates. Spoon creamed morels over each bottom, allowing some to overflow. Top each with 4 asparagus tips, and cover with pastry tops.
Serve immediately so filling is hot.