Raj's Chickpeas in Tomato Sauce
This quick, delicious healthful dish can be thrown together in minutes using ingredients from the pantry. It was taught to me by renowned concert pianist Raj Bhimani, a lifelong vegetarian gourmet.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 2 tablespoons peanut or safflower oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced into half-moons
- 1 medium can (15–20 ounces) tomatoes, either crushed or diced
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) chickpeas (garbanzos), drained and rinsed
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they are fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in the ginger, crushed red pepper, and onions; cook until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes more, until they become saucy.
Season the sauce with salt and pepper and add the chickpeas; cook 5 minutes more.
Sprinkle with chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve with basmati rice and Indian breads, such as Chapati.