This rice combines nicely with Mexican Frijoles Refritos for an excellent lunchtime meal.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- ⅓ medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup peanut or safflower oil
- 3½ cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- ⅓ cup green peas (frozen are okay)
Soak rice in hot water for 15 minutes, then rinse and drain. Purée the tomato, onion, and garlic in a blender.
Fry the rice in the oil, in a large saucepot, until it turns light gold in color, about 10 minutes. Pour off excess oil.
Stir in the tomato purée and cook until almost dry, about 3 minutes.
Add stock, salt, carrots, and peas, cover, and simmer over low heat for 18 minutes; liquid should be absorbed and rice tender. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.