Thai Tom Kha Coconut Soup
In Thailand, this soup is a full meal, served alongside a large plate of steamed rice, and the vegetables vary with the season and whim of the chef—broccoli, bell peppers, or mild chilies are common. Don't worry if you can't find lemongrass or galangal, as lime and ginger add a similar flavor.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 slices fresh ginger or galangal
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1–2 small chilies, chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms, any kind
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Combine the coconut milk and vegetable broth over medium-low heat. Add soy sauce, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, lime juice, chilies, and red pepper flakes. Heat, but do not boil.
When broth is hot, add onion, tomatoes, carrot, and mushrooms. Cover and cook on low heat for 10–15 minutes.
Remove from heat and top with chopped fresh cilantro.
Calories: 240 | Fat: 21g | Sodium: 725mg | Fiber: 2g | Protein: 4g