Black Bean and Butternut Squash Chili
Squash is an excellent addition to vegetarian chili in this Southwestern-style dish.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, chopped into chunks
- 1 5-ounce cans black beans, drained
- 1 28-ounce can stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
- ¾ cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
In a large stock pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 4 minutes.
Reduce heat and add remaining ingredients, except cilantro.
Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Uncover and simmer another 5 minutes.
Top with fresh cilantro just before serving.
Calories: 455 | Fat: 9g | Sodium: 1,247mg | Fiber: 25g | Protein: 23g