1. “Muslims worship a moon god.” Muslims believe in One Almighty God, called Allah, and Islam teaches strict monotheism. Allah (“God” in Arabic) is the formal way of addressing God.
2. “Muslims don't believe in Jesus.” Muslims believe that God sent righteous prophets, including Jesus, to teach His message.
3. “Islam is intolerant of other faiths.” Muslims respect their common roots with Judaism and Christianity.
4. “The Qur'an was written by Muhammad.” The Qur'an is the holy text of Islam, which Muslims believe to be the exact word of God.
5. “Islamic prayer is just ritualized performance with no heartfelt meaning.” Muslims pray several times a day and perform other acts of worship that express their praise for and connection to the Creator.
6. “Most Muslims are Arab.” One-fifth of the world's people are Muslim, and only 15 percent of them are Arabs.
7. “Islam oppresses women.” Islam does not advocate subjugation of women; men and women are equal in the eyes of God.
8. “Muslims are violent, terrorist extremists.” Muslims make up a religious community of more than 1 billion people. Only a small minority engages in violence, an act that runs contrary to the teachings of the faith.
9. “Islam promotes jihad by the sword to spread Islam and kill all unbelievers.” Islam does not advocate forced conversion; the term jihad (holy struggle) may represent an inner spiritual conflict.
10. “The crescent moon is a universal symbol of Islam.” The crescent symbol was first used in recent times and for nonreligious reasons. There is no universal symbol for Islam. Because of strict laws against idolatry, traditional Islamic art avoided images of humans or animals.