Vegetable Sweet and Sour "Pork"
This easy version of the popular restaurant dish takes only minutes to make. To speed things up even further, wash and drain the vegetables and prepare the sauce earlier in the day.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into thin slices
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
- Salt to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into bite-sized chunks
- Pineapple Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 cup canned pineapple chunks
- Black pepper to taste
Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the minced ginger and garlic. Stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the carrots and green bell pepper. Stir-fry for 1 minute, adding a bit of salt if desired.
Add the red pepper. Stir-fry for 1 more minute or until the vegetables are tender but still crisp.
Add the sauce and bring to a boil, stirring quickly to thicken. Add the pineapple chunks.
Stir-fry for 2 more minutes or until all the ingredients are heated through. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding pepper if desired. Serve hot.