Easy Mixed-Vegetable Stir-Fry
The combination of baby corn, carrots, and bean sprouts provides an interesting contrast in color and texture. You can adapt this basic recipe to make chop suey or egg foo yung.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 3 to 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 slices ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut on the diagonal into 1½-inch slices
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) can baby corn, drained
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon Asian sesame oil
Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger. Stir-fry for 10 seconds until aromatic.
Stir in the salt and the carrots. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then stir in the sugar and the baby corn. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then add the bean sprouts. Stir-fry for 30 seconds to 1 minute, taking care not to overcook the bean sprouts. Add more salt or sugar if desired.
Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame oil. Serve hot.