Spicy Tofu and Spinach
Thicker than regular Japanese soy sauce, tamari is similar in texture and flavor to Chinese dark soy sauce. If tamari is unavailable, Chinese dark soy sauce can be substituted.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- ½ teaspoon chile paste, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 pound spinach leaves, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- ¾ pound medium-firm to firm tofu, drained, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking, and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chile paste and the garlic. Stir-fry for 10 seconds, then add the spinach.
Stir-fry the spinach for 1 minute, splashing with the tamari. Add the tofu cubes. Stir-fry for 1 minute, moving the tofu cubes around the pan.
Add the chicken broth into the pan and bring to a boil. Stir in the sugar. Stir-fry for another 2 to 3 minutes, to heat through. Serve hot.