Easy Tofu Scramble
While it doesn't exactly resemble the yellow color of scrambled eggs, the turmeric in this recipe gives the scrambled tofu a nice golden color.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 2 to 3
- 6 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 2 thin slices ginger
- 1 tablespoon soymilk or soy sauce
Place the tofu cubes in a bowl. Use your fingers to break up the tofu until it has the texture of scrambled egg. Stir or use your fingers to mix in the salt, pepper, turmeric, paprika, nutritional yeast, and green onion.
Heat a wok or skillet over medium-high heat until it is nearly smoking, and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the ginger slices. Let brown for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from the pan.
Add the tofu to the wok or skillet. Stir-fry for about 1 minute, then stir in the soymilk or soy sauce. Stir-fry for about 1 or 2 more minutes or until the scrambled tofu is light and fluffy. Serve immediately.