Basic Brown Sauce
Either store-bought beef broth or beef bouillon cubes dissolved in boiling water can be used in this recipe.
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS ⅔ cup
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil, optional
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Combine the beef broth, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, rice wine or dry sherry, sugar, and sesame oil (if using) in a bowl. Whisk in the cornstarch. Either use the sauce immediately or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to use. (Use the sauce within 3 to 4 days.) Stir the sauce before adding it to the stir-fry to bring up any cornstarch that has settled on the bottom.