Shrimp and Butternut Squash Soup
In this recipe, prepare the shrimp and chill that mixture while you oven roast the squash separately; then combine them.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 6 tablespoons fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1½ teaspoon ground coriander, divided
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- ½ pound (8 ounces) large shrimp
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 4 cups (1 quart) chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 4 teaspoons minced cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Combine the lime juice, orange juice, ½ teaspoon of the coriander, the red pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly. Peel and devein the shrimp, then slice in half lengthwise. Toss together. Refrigerate this marinade for 2 hours.
While the shrimp is marinating, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the squash into quarters and remove the seeds, leaving the skin on. Using a large roasting pan, place the squash pieces face down and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, about ⅛ of an inch deep. Cover the pan loosely with foil; bake for 50 minutes.
Allow the squash to cool, then remove the skin. Using a blender, blend half the squash with about half the chicken broth. Pour the mixture into a soup pot. Prepare the other half of the squash the same way. Stir in the cream, orange rind, and remaining coriander. Cover and warm gently on a low heat.
In a large saucepan, heat the remaining oil. Drain the marinade from the shrimp. Place the shrimp in the pan and cook for 1 minute on each side.
Pour the squash base into serving bowls. Top with the shrimp, then the cilantro.