Lemon Chicken and Okra Soup
Out of chicken broth? Not to worry, the chicken in this soup will flavor the water.
- 1 broiler chicken, (2½ pounds)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 6 cups Basic Chicken Broth
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 cups sliced okra
- ⅓ cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Cut up the chicken into serving pieces (wings, legs, etc.). Rub lemon juice over the chicken pieces.
Put the chicken in a large kettle with the broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 15 minutes.
Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 more minutes, until the chicken and rice are tender. Remove the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon; skin and debone them. Dice the meat and return to the kettle. Serve.