This recipe can also be used as a sauce for your favorite homemade pizza or eaten with pasta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in ½-inch pieces
- ¼–½ pound (4–8 ounces) Italian sausages, casings removed
- ½ of a medium-sized white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- ½ pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) can
- 1 cup Basic Chicken Broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 generous pinches of ground cloves
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken thighs and Italian sausage. Stir, breaking up the sausage into small pieces; cook until the chicken is browned and the sausage is no longer pink.
Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and bay leaf, and continue to cook until the onion is softened.
Stir in the Marsala. Bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits that are stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
Reduce the heat and simmer until half of the liquid has evaporated (about 15 minutes).
Transfer this mixture to a Dutch oven. Mix in the mushrooms, tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato paste, and cloves. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes. Remove bay leaf.