To give the soup more body, mash or puree some of the cooked lentils in your blender or food processor and add before serving.
Cooking time: 3–4 hours
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Pot size: 3–5 quarts
1. Soak the lentils in cold water in the slow cooker for 6 hours; drain and discard the water. Place the lentils back in the slow cooker.
2. Chop the onions. Sauté the onions in butter in a pan over medium heat until soft. Transfer to the slow cooker.
3. Slice the carrots diagonally. Combine the carrots, broth, bone, salt, and bouquet garni with the other ingredients in the slow cooker.
4. Cover and heat on a low setting for 4 to 5 hours.
5. Before serving, remove the bouquet garni.