Hot Chili Crab Soup
This soup will require cold beverages to clear the palate before the next dish. Be sure to have mild lemonade and sparkling water on hand.
Cooking time: 2–3 hours
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Pot size: 3–5 quarts
1. Finely mince the garlic and ½ jalapeno, and chop the onion. Sauté the onion, garlic, and jalapeno in the oil in a pan over low heat until the onion is soft.
2. Chop the tomatoes. Put the onion mixture, tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, spices, salt, lime juice, and corn in the slow cooker.
3. Cover and heat on a low setting for 2 to 3 hours.
4. Shred the crabmeat. Before serving, stir in the crabmeat.
5. Prepare the garnishes as follows: Slice the tortillas into strips and brown on a baking sheet in a 300°F oven. Chop the cilantro, slice the avocado, shred the cheese, slice the lime, and mince the jalapeno. Serve in separate dishes near the slow cooker.
Chili pepper “heat” varies dramatically by species. Typically, the small, pointed chilies are the hottest, while large, blunt chilies (those that look more like bell peppers) are the mildest. Also, fresh chilies are hotter than dried ones, so beware!