Serve this classic dish with wild rice, egg noodles, or small pumpernickel rolls to soak up the sauce.
Cooking time: 4–5 hours
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Pot size: 3–5 quarts
1. Cut the chicken into serving-size pieces. Slice the onion. Sauté the chicken pieces and onion in olive oil in a pan over medium heat until the chicken is browned.
2. Crush the garlic. Coarsely chop the garlic and tomatoes.
3. Combine the chicken mixture, garlic, and tomatoes in the slow cooker. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper; add the broth.
4. Cover and heat on low setting for 3 to 4 hours.
5. Half an hour before serving, add the wine.
If you don't have a rice cooker, use a slow cooker as your kitchen assistant. Slow cookers do a great job of keeping rice warm without overcooking it. This can be very handy for party preparation when you've got a full day planned, or want time for a nap.