If you don't have fresh buns available on party day, don't worry. Stale buns will soften with the steam.
Cooking time: 1–2 hours
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Pot size: 3–5 quarts
1. Crush and mince the garlic; mince the onion. Mix the garlic and onion with the meat, eggs, salt, crumbs, and milk.
2. Form the mixture into 8 patties.
3. Briefly sear the patties on each side in a pan over high heat. Assemble the patties on hamburger buns, with pickles on each.
4. Wrap the sandwiches in aluminum foil. Arrange the wrapped sandwiches on a trivet or rack in the slow cooker. Pour water around the base of the trivet.
5. Cover and heat on a high setting for 1 to 2 hours.
For Future Use
Consider every leftover for use in future cooking. Cornbread, for example, can be used in many dishes. Pop it in the freezer to use later, as crumbs for meatloaf or in meat balls, giving regular old meatballs a whole new taste and texture.