This is excellent served warm with lemon ice cream. Use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour in this recipe.
Yields 2 loaves
Cooking time: 3–4 hours
Preparation time: 60 minutes
Pot size: 3–5 quarts
1. Sift the flour with the baking soda and spices to mix.
2. Cream the butter and sugar in a separate dish. Add the eggs to the creamed mixture and stir well. Warm the rum in a saucepan over low heat until steaming. Add the raisins to the saucepan and let them plump.
3. Blend the dry ingredients into the butter-and-sugar mixture gradually, alternating with the stewed raisin mixture and the sour cream.
4. Fill 2 greased and floured loaf pans, or the equivalent, one-half to three-quarters full with the batter. Loosely cover each dish with foil or other lid. Place on a trivet or rack in the slow cooker, and pour water around the base.
5. Cover and heat on a high setting for 3 to 4 hours.