Savory Beef Stroganoff
This dish is best prepared the day before, and left overnight in the refrigerator. Then reheat and serve over egg noodles with poppy seeds.
Cooking time: 6–8 hours
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Pot size: 3–5 quarts
1. Mince the garlic and slice the celery. Transfer to the slow cooker. Slice the onion and mushrooms. Sauté in butter in a pan over medium heat until the onions are soft. Set aside the mushroom mixture but keep the juices in the pan.
2. Slice the meat into ¼-inch strips. Coat with the flour, and sauté in the pan with the mushroom juices, plus an additional 2 tablespoons butter, until lightly browned. Mix the onion and meat mixtures together as they are transferred to the slow cooker.
3. Mix the catsup, sherry, broth, and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and heat on a low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
4. Let stand overnight in the refrigerator.
5. Reheat the mixture. Mince the parsley. Half an hour before serving, stir in the sour cream and parsley.
Browning meats for ten minutes or so before putting them in the slow cooker makes them come out more tender at the end. They also get that nice seared look, adding to the visual appeal of your dish.