Peking Gin Roast
Don't be alarmed by the coffee and gin in this recipe. They add a nice rich flavor to the meat.
Cooking time: 6–8 hours
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Pot size: 3–5 quarts
1. Slice the onion. Cut the meat into serving-size pieces and mix with the onion slices. Put the meat mixture in a glass dish and cover with the vinegar. Refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours, then discard the vinegar.
2. Sauté the meat and onions in oil in a pan over high heat until the meat is browned. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
3. Pour the coffee and water over the meat and onions.
4. Cover and heat on a low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
5. Half an hour before serving, add the salt, pepper, and gin.
Looking at Liquids
When adapting recipes for use in a slow cooker, cut the amount of liquids in half, or more if “wet” ingredients (like tomatoes) are used. Very little evaporation takes place in a slow cooker because it is self-contained and sealed.