Serve this youvarlakia (Greek-style meatball) adaptation like a soup with some crusty bread. To complete the meal, add a salad tossed with a lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil vinaigrette and topped with feta cheese.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1 large egg
- All-purpose flour
- 2 cups tomato juice or tomato-vegetable juice
- 2 tablespoons Greek extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Make the meatballs by mixing the ground beef together with the rice, onion, garlic, parsley, oregano, cumin, mint, and egg; shape into small meatballs and roll each one in flour.
Add the tomato or tomato-vegetable juice, olive oil, cinnamon, and honey to the slow cooker. Carefully add the meatballs. Pour in the water. (The water should take the liquid level up to where it completely covers the meatballs.)
Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until the meatballs are cooked through. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed.