Barbecue Beef and Bean Soup
You can serve this soup as a main dish with a tossed salad and over or along with corn bread.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 1 pound great northern beans, soaked
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds beef short or Western ribs
- 6 cups water
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon brown sugar
Soak the beans overnight and then precook them on the stovetop according to the instructions given in Preparing Great Northern Beans for the Slow Cooker.
Once the beans are precooked, add them to the slow cooker. Stir in the onion and pepper. Add the beef ribs and pour in the water. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the beans are cooked through.
Remove the short ribs and cut the meat from the bones. Stir the meat and barbecue sauce into the beans. Cover and cook on low for 1 hour. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and brown sugar if desired.