Scotch Broth is not a broth in the traditional sense. Instead, it's the name for a barley soup.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 2 leeks, white part only
- 4 lamb shoulder chops
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk of celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 6 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Optional: Fresh parsley, minced
Dice the white part of the leeks; rinse well and drain.
Add the leeks to the slow cooker along with the lamb chops, barley, carrot, celery, potatoes, water, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender and the potatoes are cooked through.
Transfer a lamb chop to each of four bowls and ladle the soup over the meat. Garnish with parsley if desired.