Portuguese Kale Soup
Collard greens can be substituted for the kale, but doing so will change the flavor somewhat.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
- 1 pound kale
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ pound linguica or kielbasa, sliced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannelloni beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Trim the large ribs from the kale. Slice it into thin strips. Put the kale strips into a bowl of cold water and soak for an hour; drain well.
Add the oil, onions, and linguica or kielbasa to the slow cooker; stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
Add the potatoes, chicken broth, drained kale, and beans. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours or until the potatoes are cooked through.
Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.