Iranian Beef Roast
Instead of adding the potatoes to the slow cooker, you can stretch this recipe to more than 8 servings if you shred the beef, return it to the pan juices or gravy, and serve it over cooked rice or couscous.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (3-pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon freeze-dried cilantro
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 medium red potatoes
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen cut green beans, thawed
- Optional: ¼ cup butter, softened
- Optional: ¼ cup all-purpose flour
Add the celery, roast, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, broth, vinegar, diced tomatoes, cilantro, black pepper, cumin, coriander, ground cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, and cinnamon to the slow cooker. Wash and cut a strip around each potato. Add to the slow cooker on top of the other ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Add the green beans to the slow cooker. Cover and cook an additional 30 minutes on low or until the green beans are heated through.
Optional: If you wish to thicken the pan juices to make gravy, use a slotted spoon to transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter; cover and keep warm. Strain the broth remaining in the pan and then return 1½ cup of the strained pan juices to the slow cooker. Increase the temperature on the slow cooker to high; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the juices are bubbling around the edges. In a small bowl, use a fork to blend together the butter and flour. Whisk the butter-flour mixture into the boiling juices, a teaspoon at a time. Once you've added all of the mixture, continue to cook and stir for 10 minutes or until the flour taste is cooked out of the gravy and it is thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.
Green Bean Salad
Instead of adding green beans to the slow cooker, you can instead steam them and serve them warm dressed with your favorite vinaigrette. Salt and pepper, to taste.