This is a one-pot main dish that you can serve along with a tossed salad and garlic toast, crackers, or corn bread. Have hot sauce at the table for those who wish to add it.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces kielbasa sausage, diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup converted long-grain rice
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup bottled clam juice or fish stock
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Dried red pepper flakes, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 ounces scallops, cut in half
- Sea salt, to taste
Add the oil, kielbasa, onion, red bell pepper, and celery to the slow cooker. Stir to coat the vegetables in the oil. Cover and, stirring halfway through, cook on high for 45 minutes, or until the onion is transparent. Stir in the garlic and rice.
Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and stir in with the other ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, clam juice or fish stock, water or chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, oregano, sugar, dried red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Stir to mix. Reduce the heat setting of the slow cooker to low, cover, and cook for 6 hours or until the rice is tender.
Increase the temperature of the slow cooker to high. Stir in the shrimp and scallops. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the shrimp and scallops are cooked through. Taste for seasoning and add salt if needed.