Cottage Cheese Casserole
This recipe is good made with Birds Eye Steamfresh asparagus, gold and white corn, and baby carrots vegetable blend. If you use a vegetable mixture without corn, omit the masa harina or cornmeal and use another ¼ cup of flour instead.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- Nonstick spray
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ⅛ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ⅛ cup masa harina or fine cornmeal
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ cup (2 tablespoons) melted butter
- 8 ounces (2 cups) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup frozen vegetable mix, thawed
- Optional: Chopped red onion, shallots, or scallions to taste
- Optional: 4 brown-and-serve sausage links, cut into pieces
Treat a heatproof 1½- to 2-quart casserole dish that can rest on the cooking rack in your slow cooker with nonstick spray.
Add the eggs and whisk until fluffy. Stir in the cottage cheese. Add the flour, masa harina or cornmeal, salt, pepper, baking powder, and butter, and mix well.
Fold the cheese and the vegetables into the egg–cottage cheese mixture. Stir in the onion, shallots or scallions, and sausage pieces if using.
Place the casserole dish onto the cooking rack in the slow cooker. Pour water into the slow cooker so that it comes up and over the cooking rack and about an inch up the sides of the casserole dish. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
Turn off the slow cooker. Uncover and allow to cool enough to let you lift the casserole dish out of the cooker. Cut the casserole into four pieces. Serve warm or at room temperature.