Holiday Dried Fruit and Apple Salad
Fresh apples, which are available in grocery stores year-round, provide a delicate base for the mix of dried fruits in this sweet winter recipe.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 2 cups fresh yellow apple, chopped
- 2 cups fresh red apple, chopped
- ¼ cup dried apricots, diced
- ¼ cup unsweetened dried cranberries, diced
- ¼ cup raisins, chopped
- ¼ cup dried cherries, diced
- ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon rum extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine yellow apples, red apples, dried apricots, dried cranberries, raisins, dried cherries, and walnuts in a large mixing bowl. Toss gently to mix.
Stir orange juice, orange zest, rum extract, allspice, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Mix well.
Drizzle over salad and toss well to coat. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 2 hours before serving.
Orange zest can be found in the spice section of any grocery store. However, packaged orange zest pales next to fresh zest. To zest an orange, wash the skin well first. Go over the rind lightly with a zester, but make sure you only scrape the orange part of the rind. If you zest to the bitter white pith it will ruin the flavor of the zest.