Carrabba's Mussels in Wine Sauce
If you like restaurant-quality mussels, you will enjoy this recipe from Carrabba's.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 4 cups mussels
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1–2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¾ cup lemon butter sauce (recipe follows)
Lemon Butter Sauce
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
Soak mussels in cold water for several minutes, then scrub with a stiff brush and remove any little tuft of fibers protruding from the shell, either with a sharp knife or by pulling on it with a damp cloth. Rinse mussels again in cold water.
Heat olive oil in a 10″ skillet and add mussels. Cover with another 10″ skillet or lid and cook until shells begin to open, about 2 minutes.
Remove top, add onion and garlic, and toss. Cover pan again and cook for 1 minute.
To clarify the butter: Melt ½ stick butter over low heat. When melted, remove from heat and set aside for several minutes to allow the milk solids to settle to the bottom. Skim the clear butter from the top and discard sediment.
Remove top and add basil, lemon juice, and lemon butter sauce. Return to flame for 30–45 seconds with top off skillet. Discard any mussels that did not open. Serve in a deep bowl.