Peanut Butter Goodies
Peanut butter and chocolate is a devilishly delicious combination—treat your child’s sweet tooth with this no-bake recipe. For variety, try substituting peanut butter chips or butterscotch chips for the chocolate.
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS 8 SERVINGS
½ cup crushed graham crackers
3 ounces semisweet chocolate
1 tablespoon shortening
1 cup powdered sugar
½ cup peanut butter
¼ cup chocolate chips
Making Parents Feel Better
If the thought of gooey treats makes you want to run for the toothpaste, you can mitigate the health concerns by adding a tablespoon of wheat germ to these peanut butter goodies. Also, instead of chocolate chips, try throwing in a few “twigs” of an oat bran cereal.
1. Place the graham crackers in a sealing plastic bag. Crush with your hands or a mallet to make coarse crumbs (this is a great task for toddlers).
2. Put the chocolate and shortening into a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on low, in 30-second intervals, until the chocolate is melted. Stir well after each microwave interval to see if the chocolate is sufficiently melted.
3. Mix the chocolate and sugar together until they’re combined. Stir in peanut butter.
4. Add graham cracker crumbs. Mix gently until they are completely incorporated. Add chocolate chips and stir until thoroughly mixed.
5. Press into a loaf pan; then cut into cookies about 1 × 2.