Noodles with Cheese
Pasta comes in many different shapes, so it’s perfectly acceptable to veer from the traditional macaroni! Experiment with conchiglie (shells), farfalle (bow ties), fusilli (twists), rotelle (wagon wheels), or any other fun shape your child might like.
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS 3 SERVINGS
4 cups water
¾ cup elbow macaroni (or other shape)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1½ cups milk
¾ cup grated cheese
Choosing a Cheese
For basic macaroni and cheese, try using Cheddar, Colby, or Monterey jack cheese. Mozzarella melts very well on pizza, but isn’t great for cooking into a toddler’s meal because it tends to congeal rapidly. Experiment with different kinds of cheeses to see which kind your child likes the best!
1. Bring the water to a rapid boil in a large saucepan.
2. Add the macaroni, stirring to break up the pasta. Cook for 12–15 minutes, or until noodles are completely tender. Drain.
3. In a small saucepan, melt the butter over low heat. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly until it’s dissolved. Add milk and cheese, stirring constantly, until it thickens into a sauce.
4. Pour the cheese sauce into the noodles, tossing to mix.
5. Allow to cool before serving to your toddler.