Cheesy Corn Nuggets
Sometimes known as fritters, corn nuggets are usually deep fried, but can be made healthier by pan frying in a small amount of oil. These fried delights, when made with buttermilk and cornmeal, are also called hush puppies in some southern parts of the United States.
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS 4 SERVINGS
1 cup corn (canned, or 3 ears fresh corn), cooked
2 tablespoons flour
½ tablespoon butter, melted
¼ cup shredded Cheddar
2 tablespoons oil
1. Shave the corn kernels off the ears of cooked corn, yielding 1 cup of corn kernels. Mash them well with a fork or run them through the food processor.
2. Whisk the egg in a medium bowl. Add the flour, melted butter, shredded cheese, and corn, mixing thoroughly to combine.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan. When hot, drop the batter into the pan by the spoonful, leaving enough space between them so that the fritters do not touch.
4. Let fry 2–3 minutes; then flip over with a spatula. Cook another 2–3 minutes, flipping again if necessary.
5. Drain onto paper towels. Serve as finger food once cooled.