Apple Nut Bake
Here’s an easy recipe that makes good use of leftover apples. Any variety will do. If using Granny Smiths, you may want to add a pinch more sugar. If your apples are already sweet enough, feel free to omit the sugar entirely.
INGREDIENTS | YIELDS 2 SERVINGS
2 medium apples
4 cups water
1 tablespoon almonds
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon sugar
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Wash, peel, and core the apples. Dice into chunks.
2. Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the apple chunks and cook for 20–25 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Drain the apples and fork-mash into a rough purée.
3. Place the almonds in a food processor or food mill. Grind until they are finely chopped.
4. Mix the apples, almonds, and egg together in a bowl. Add the flour and sugar, stirring to combine. Add nutmeg and cinnamon, and stir until the mixture is thoroughly coated.
5. Place in a greased baking dish and bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.