Asian Chicken Noodle Salad
This is a California classic — chow mein noodles, mandarin oranges, and salad vegetables, all topped with a tart vinegar and sesame oil dressing.
Preparation time: 10–15 minutes
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 4
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast meat
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed, drained, torn
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 cup chow mein noodles
Cut the chicken into thin strips.
In a small bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar.
Place the salad dressing in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Stir in the romaine lettuce, green onions, and chicken strips.
Add the mandarin oranges and the chow mein noodles on top.
Always make sure lettuce is drained thoroughly — wet, soggy lettuce can affect the salad's flavor. Shred the lettuce leaves instead of cutting them with a knife. Unless the recipe states otherwise, if preparing a salad ahead of time, add the dressing just before serving. Toss the salad gently with the dressing, taking care not to overstir.