»

What Not to Feed

Are there any foods your pug shouldn't eat? Absolutely! Chocolate, onions, grapes, raisins, and alcoholic beverages are among the items your pug should never get.

It may be the food of love, but chocolate doesn't love dogs. A chemical in chocolate called theobromine is toxic to dogs and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, panting, restlessness, and muscle tremors. Too much chocolate can even kill a dog. Dark chocolate and unsweetened baking chocolate contain more theobromine than candy, which is adulterated with sugar and other ingredients. Keep any form of chocolate out of your pug's reach.

Raw or cooked, onions are off-limits to dogs. A particular chemical in onions can destroy a dog's red blood cells. The result is a serious or even fatal case of anemia.

Grapes and raisins (dried grapes) have been reported to cause acute kidney failure in some dogs. If your pug does snack on some grapes or raisins, you'll know there's a problem if he vomits or has diarrhea within a few hours of eating them, loses his appetite, or becomes lethargic and seems to have a stomachache. Activated charcoal helps prevent absorption of toxins, and your pug may need hospitalization with intravenous fluids for at least two days. The veterinarian will monitor the dog's blood chemistry to ensure that kidney failure doesn't develop.

Getting a dog drunk isn't funny — it's dangerous. Alcoholic beverages can be harmful or even fatal to dogs. Don't offer your pug even a sip.

  1. Home
  2. Pug
  3. Basic Nutrition
  4. What Not to Feed
Visit other About.com sites: