Raspberry Dream Cake
Dream Whip is a dry whipped topping mix that makes the cake layers very light and fluffy.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 16
- 1 (18-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 envelope Dream Whip topping mix
- 1 cup cold water
- 6 egg whites
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup fresh raspberries, crushed
- 2–4 tablespoons heavy cream
- ⅓ cup raspberry preserves
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
2. In large bowl, combine cake mix, Dream Whip, water, and egg whites; beat until blended. Then beat for 4 minutes at medium speed. Batter will increase in volume. Pour into prepared cake pans.
3. Bake for 25–30 minutes, until cake is golden brown and starts to pull away from sides of pan. Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then turn out onto baking racks to cool, top side up; cool completely.
4. In large bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until mixed. Add half of the powdered sugar, then all of the raspberries; beat well. Add enough remaining powdered sugar and cream for desired spreading consistency.
5. Place one cake layer on serving plate. Top with preserves. Top with second layer, then frost top and sides with raspberry frosting. Store covered at room temperature.
Make the cake ahead of time, and also prepare the frosting, omitting the raspberries. When guests start to arrive, have them fill the cake with preserves, then add the raspberries to the frosting and beat until creamy. You may need to add more powdered sugar. Then tell them to frost the cake, and it will be waiting for you!