Potluck Bacon Chicken
Fresh basil leaves along with bacon and cream cheese add fabulous flavor to stuffed chicken rolls in this classic dish.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6
10 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon pepper
1 cup fresh basil leaves
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sour cream, divided
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 (16-ounce) jar Alfredo sauce
1 (8-ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
⅓ cup milk
1. Partially cook 6 slices of the bacon until much of the fat is rendered out but it is still pliable. Refrigerate. Drain fat, then cook remaining four slices of bacon until crisp. Drain bacon, crumble, and set aside.
2. Drain fat from skillet; do not wipe out. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Pound chicken breasts until ¼-inch thick. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then cover chicken with a layer of basil leaves.
4. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with ⅓ cup sour cream until smooth. Stir in crumbled crisp bacon and onion mixture. Spread this mixture over the basil leaves; roll up chicken and secure with toothpicks. Wrap partially cooked bacon around chicken.
5. Place chicken in baking dish. In same bowl, combine remaining ⅔ cup sour cream, thyme, Alfredo sauce, mushrooms, and milk. Pour over chicken.
6. Bake for 55–65 minutes or until chicken and bacon are thoroughly cooked. Serve over hot cooked couscous or rice.
Keep It Healthy
You can substitute low-fat cream cheese, nonfat sour cream, and low-fat Alfredo sauce for the regular versions in this delicious recipe. Turkey bacon would also be a lower-fat alternative than regular bacon. Add more vegetables to the sauce; some frozen thawed carrot slices or bell peppers add nutrition, color, and flavor.