Bacon Blue Cheese–Stuffed Chicken
This delicious recipe is packed full of flavor. Serve it with a gelatin salad and a lemon pie for dessert.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
5 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
2 (3-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
½ cup minced fresh basil leaves
⅔ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
⅓ cup flour
¼ cup ground walnuts
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons butter
1. Place chicken breasts between two sheets of waxed paper and pound until ¼ inch thick. Remove top sheet, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and set aside.
2. In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, crumble, and set aside. Drain bacon fat from skillet; do not wipe. Add onion to skillet; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes.
3. In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with mustard until smooth. Add crumbled bacon, cooked onions, basil leaves, and Gorgonzola and mix well. Spread this mixture on the chicken breasts.
4. Roll up chicken and fasten edges with toothpicks. On plate, combine flour, walnuts, and seasoned salt. Dredge chicken rolls in egg, then in the flour mixture. Melt butter in same skillet and brown chicken on all sides, turning frequently. Place chicken in 13″ × 9″ baking dish. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Bake chicken rolls for 15–20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
You can make the chicken rolls ahead of time and chill in the refrigerator until you're ready to cook the dish. Prepare the flour and walnut mixture, but don't beat the egg until the last minute. Then dredge the chicken as directed, brown in the skillet, and bake in the oven until done.