This sweet-tart sauce may be a little more intense than your average sauce for the grill. It's designed to stand up to substantial crusts and a range of ingredients.
Makes 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon country Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 strips bacon, cooked
- 2⅓ cups ketchup
- ½ cup water
- Tabasco sauce to taste
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine oil, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes until vegetables begin to soften.
Spoon into a blender. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to purée.
Return sauce mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring often. Cool before using in pizza recipes.