Grilled Italian Sausage and Peppers Pizza
Thinly slice sausage on the diagonal to create larger slices. Depending on your tastes, hot or mild sausage can be used. Or try a combination of both. Peppers can be added to the pie fresh, or lightly grilled.
Makes two 12-inch pizzas
- ½ recipe Pizza Crust for the Grill dough
- Cornmeal and flour for dusting
- Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Slow-Simmered Tomato Sauce
- 1 pound thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1 pound thinly sliced mozzarella
- 2 pounds grilled Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 1 cup shredded Asiago cheese
On a lightly floured board or on parchment, roll out two 12-inch dough circles. Place one circle of dough on a metal pizza peel or rimless baking sheet generously sprinkled with flour and cornmeal.
Prepare a gas or charcoal grill so that one area is hot while another side or corner is medium-hot. Brush the grill rack with vegetable oil. Slide the pizza onto the grill rack over the hot coals or heating element. Close the lid immediately and grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until pizza dough is cooked on the bottom and grill marks appear. Remove dough to peel or baking sheet, turning the grilled side up.
Brush the grilled pizza side with half the olive oil. Quickly spread half the sauce over the grilled crust. Cover the sauce with half the provolone and mozzarella slices, followed by half the sausage slices, half the peppers, half the oregano, and half the Asiago cheese.
Carefully slide the pizza back onto the grill, placing it over the medium-hot area. Close grill cover and cook 3 minutes. Check to make sure crust isn't browning too quickly. If it is, move some coals to the opposite side of the grill or lower gas grill thermostat to reduce heat. Continue to cook for another 4 to 5 minutes or until crust is browned and cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and serve. Repeat cooking process with second pizza.