Appeals and Due Process Hearings

If you are unhappy with the determinations that have been made at your child's IEP meeting, ask what the procedures are in your district for administrative review. Sometimes a higher level school district administrator brings a new perspective to the issue or has the ability to authorize resources that can help resolve the issue. You may also be able to request mediation.

If you still cannot reach an agreement with your school district, your next step is to request a due process hearing. This is a proceeding before an impartial hearing officer who has the power to consider evidence presented by both the parent and school district, and then render a decision to resolve the dispute. The cost of the hearing officer is paid for by the school district. It is a good idea to seek advice from a lawyer or special ed advocate to prepare for this hearing.

  1. Home
  2. Parenting Children with Dyslexia
  3. IDEA and the IEP Process
  4. Appeals and Due Process Hearings
Visit other sites: