Tax Deductions for Specialized Teaching

If your child's doctor recommends tutoring by a teacher who is specially trained and qualified to work with children with learning disabilities, you may deduct amounts spent on such services from your taxes as a medical expense. If the doctor recommends that your child attend a school that provides specialized services for learning disabilities, and if the principal reason for your child's attending such a school is to overcome his dyslexia, you can deduct the costs of his tuition, meals, and lodging at that school.

Because these costs are treated as a medical expense, you can only deduct amounts that exceed 7.5 percent of your adjusted gross income. Tax laws are always subject to change; if you are planning to deduct expenses associated with your child's dyslexia treatment, consult IRS Publication 502 (Medical and Dental Expenses) for the current tax year.

  1. Home
  2. Parenting Children with Dyslexia
  3. Choosing a School
  4. Tax Deductions for Specialized Teaching
Visit other sites: