Mock Bratwurst in Beer
The Spice House has a salt-free Bavarian seasoning blend that is appropriate for this recipe. It's a blend of Bavarian-style crushed brown mustard seeds, French rosemary, garlic, Dalmatian sage, French thyme, and bay leaves.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 8
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 1-pound bag baby carrots
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–4 slices of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 pounds turkey breast
- 1 2-pound bag sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 8 medium red potatoes, washed and pierced
- 1 12-ounce can beer
- 1 tablespoon Bavarian seasoning
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Add all the ingredients to a 4-quart slow cooker in the order given. Note that the liquid amount needed will depend on how wet the sauerkraut is when you add it. The liquid should come up halfway and cover the turkey breast, with the sauerkraut and potatoes being above the liquid line. Add more beer, if necessary.
Slow cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Serve hot.