Green Chili Stew
Serve this stew with a salad and corn chips. It also works as an enchilada filling. To accommodate different tastes, use mild green chili peppers in the stew and have hot green salsa at the table.
INGREDIENTS | SERVES 6–8
- ½ cup butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 28-ounce can heat-and-serve pork
- 3 7-ounce cans mild or hot green chilies, drained and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until the onion is transparent. Stir in the oregano, garlic, and chili powder. Whisk in the flour to make a roux, and cook it until it's lightly browned.
Whisk in the chicken broth a little at a time, whisking until smooth. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Reduce heat, and stir in the pork and canned chilies. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if desired.